Thursday 20 January 2011

Great British Music

So, like many people, I have a Youtube account. Which, I use to upload my own songs and of course view all sorts of videos such as stand up comedy to live performances to interviews.


I was asked by a Greek fellow through Youtube, to make a compilation of 'the best of British music' and to choose around 10-12 tracks. Simple. The list ran as so:


1. Town Called Malice (The Jam)
2. My Generation (The Who)
3. Jumpin' Jack Flash (The Rolling Stones)
4. Live Forever (Oasis)
5. There She Goes (The La's)
6. I Am The Resurrection (The Stone Roses)
7. There Is A Light That Never Goes Out (The Smiths)
8. London Calling (The Clash)
9. Love Will Tear Us Apart (Joy Division)
10. Days (The Kinks)
11. Walkaway (Cast)
12. Common People (Pulp)


personally, this is my opinion, that these songs pretty much sum up the Great British music. Funny how the "youngest" song on the list is from 1994 and some tracks coming from 1964. 


Of course, there's no Beatles tracks and one track I decided to leave off was Time For Heroes by The Libertines, it's bound to be a future classic.


Unfortunately, music today seems to be falling as money is now the biggest issue over talent. Though, some bands out there are still making quality music, though not in the limelight, and have chosen not to "sell out" and make more mainstream music, such as scousers, The Coral. Their biggest hits being "In The Morning" pretty much the song of 2005, and "Dreaming Of You" for its appearance in Scrubs. 


Perhaps, a new wave of bands will come through and change music once again, and I hope I'm there to see it! But for now, I'll go back to The La's and Oasis' B-Sides....





1 comment: