Monday 17 January 2011

L-i-v-e-r-p-double-o-l

My home city of Liverpool, to me, of course, is the best place on the earth. 


Sometimes it baffles me that some people come from far and wide to Liverpool, for many a reasons. But mostly seem to be because of Football and music


Which reminds me of a quote from an interview with The La's (the interviewer being from Belgium or some other exotic European country):


"Is it true that coming from Liverpool, you either become a footballer or a musician?"


"yeah....or a criminal. So kick the ball in the net and hit the right notes...or don't get caught!"


So, the point of this post, is while walking in the city centre, an Italian man and woman (obvious tourists from the oversized camera's and sticking-out-of-the-crowd look about them), well these tourists approached and said something along the lines of "Gavin Grub" 


So, mid street, totally baffled, these two are looking to me as if I am a tour guide with all the answers. They point to my head...this startled me a little to be honest, and then it hits me, I'm wearing my Lennon cap (See The Beatles album cover "Help") and I realise "Gavin Grub" isn't some blokes Cafe, she's looking for the "Cavern Club". I repeat Cavern Club much to her joy and send them on their way. 


Being from a certain city or place, you sort of take things for granted, we know no different.


Doesn't everywhere have two Cathedrals? A Lime Street? A Radio Tower? The Beatles? The Mersey? Football teams? 


I guess it's just what we are on the map for and that the 'pool are just more famous and special to the outside world and maybe those living here don't seem to appreciate just what we got in the city. 


As the possibility of university and moving away looms, I wonder how much I'd miss Liverpool....which reminds me of some Libertines lyrics...


"Well I'll go back to Liverpool, oh, oh, oh, yes, I know I'll be loved there..."

No comments:

Post a Comment