Friday 14 January 2011

I Wish I Was There

Putting the doubters at ease, I'm posting another blog, and not ‘losing interest’ right away.

After a rather interesting conversation with one of my more musical friends, my mind began wandering off (as usual..) about the top three concerts/gigs/performances I wish I could have seen.

My list consists of:
  
The La’s – Town and Country Club 1989
The “album” was yet to come out, playing the usual set, the first La’s show to be televised with a pretty solid lineup, Lee Mavers (mythical genius), John Power (frontman of Cast), Barry Sutton (of who I am friends with!) and Chris Sharrock (now with Beady Eye) this was also the lineup in the UK version of the “There She Goes” video. Musically solid throughout, the odd crowd member climbing the stage only to jump off moments later. Energetic, powerful, made me strive to be better!


Oasis – Wembley 2000
At this point only the Gallagher brothers remained in Oasis, Noel was off the drugs, Liam was still on ‘em and was beating up anyone with a camera but this gig is effortless, from start to finish the crowd don’t stop jumping, it’s like a wave. If only I was there, hard to believe it was 11 years ago.


The Stone Roses – Blackpool 1989
Ian Brown isn’t the greatest singer, but a great frontman and you feel like he's your mate, Reni (possibly the coolest drummer around?)guitarist John Squire (poor man’s Johnny Marr) and Mani, an absolute genius and inspiration on bass. This gig (from tapes) was magical, apparently everyone was high as a kite, I think this gig was written about by Pulp in the song “Sorted For E’s and Whizz”, though I could be wrong. The opening is pretty mysterious and builds the tension until Reni kicks the song right off, then the gig is already worth it.

Highlight: I Wanna Be Adored http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCqML768ybs

there's so many to choose, even by bands I don't like or listen to, but I'd have liked to have witnessed them, due to the sheer amazement surrounding them. 

so much to have seen, so little time, I wonder what gigs will be the definition of our generation? what gigs will have fans of these bands in 50 years time crying in jealousy?

No comments:

Post a Comment