Thursday 17 February 2011

I spy, with my Beady Eye (do read, music to imagery!)

February 2011, Beady Eye are due to release their debut record on the 28th.

According to the members of Beady Eye, the ‘new’ band formed the night Oasis split up, the story being very simple “Oasis ended, we had a beer and a think, and started a new band”

And apparently a French website leaked the Beady Eye album, I have already purchased it about 3 months in advance, and I decided to have a listen.

On first impressions it seems underwhelming, nothing too special, I need to connect with songs to enjoy them, I won’t listen to something that won’t move me etc. Then listening to the songs individually, or at the ‘right time’ you really feel something. And I mean something.

“The Beat Goes On” and “The Morning Son” both heartbreaking in a word.

The opening lyrics from “The Beat Goes On” really hit me, especially with Gallagher’s vocals...

“Thought that I died today
Walked off the stage
Faded away into the clouds
To the gig in the sky
And when I arrived
The angels were singing a song
Yeah, you know the one
Are you singing along?”

It really hit home, it makes you beckon also, and emotionally break out into the last line “are you singing along?”

On the album, “The Morning Son” follows “The Beat Goes On” and continues with the “we’ve got your emotions, now hear this!”

“you’ll never know
Unless you try
I stand alone
Nobody knows
The morning son has rose”

In between the lyrics there is a chord change (music changes..) and the guitar, somehow, offers a wave of hope and optimism, and the lyrics, a sense of loss, vast space, and again hope and optimism, telling you to ‘rise’ and for some reason I pictured myself at the Albert Dock staring into the River Mersey. It’s strange how lyrics, imagery and emotion can work together...

Other imagery hit me today in work, during the song “Kill For A Dream” which I had heard a number of times due to the 30 second preview that was released, these lyrics hit me most:

“I’m here if you wanna call
staring at the spot on the wall
it’s a beautiful world when you know who you are
moving too fast in the back of a car
and you say to the driver just drive
cause you never felt so alive”

Suddenly a rush of memory reminding me of the time I was dressed as a banana in London, in the back of a taxi, it was like something out of a film, the outside world didn’t matter, there’s wars waging, money issues, but all is at peace in the back of this taxi, life has it’s moments of sheer beauty, if only you could ‘record’ memories or show someone else what you saw with your own two eyes, through the looking glass.

I heard the song in my dream also, I was ‘lost’ and I was trying on sunglasses and shouting at some female figure who was telling me to “please, would you hurry up?” as I try on a number of different pairs of sunglasses.

Which links to a quote I always remember about Oasis, Noel once saying Liam is always in sunglasses, which says a lot as “if the eyes are a window to the soul, and he’s always wearing sunglasses, then he’s blocking out his soul isn’t he?”

Is my subconscious trying to say “I am the morning son” or “my soul is dark” or am I just going mad. (personally I think I’m going mad..)

I’m half expecting to cry at the Beady Eye gig, especially when those three songs are played, but it’s better to feel something, than nothing at all, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment