Friday 4 February 2011

I Would Like To Leave This City

"I would like to leave this city 

This old town don't smell too pretty and 
I can feel the warning signs running around my mind 
And when I leave this island I'll book myself into a soul asylum 

And I can feel the warning signs running around my mind"
- Noel Gallagher (Oasis' Half The World Away)

I was out last night, 'Half The World Away' popped on the speakers, ironic?

Maybe leaving 'home' for a new place, the talk of last night, "will 'home' still be 'home' when I return?" judging from people I know, upon their return to 'home', they don't seem phased by coming home. Odd. In my drunken haze of last night, I spotted the cathedral, it was lit up in it's dazzling beauty, why was there a lump in my throat?

More talk led onto the fact, the people who I've been around the past three years, through the highs, the lows, the to's and frow's, we know each other's in's and out's, and despite promises and their word, I doubt to see them again. 

Also, think of someone in your head, who say, means a lot, a friend, the world's a small place when it wants to be, would you remember if you had sat next to them on the bus? never glanced at them twice and now they mean the world, it's odd, a stranger can become pretty much anything, a friend or a foe, (or could hold the keys to the shrine, in another Oasis reference)

But moving has it's up's. A new life of sorts, new interests and joys to be found, new strangers, to fill that gap. I guess it depends on how lucky you are.

If I move, I'm putting my prized possessions in a box, bit stupid relying on materialistic items but, everyone's different, one man's trash is another man's treasure...

Again in my drunken haze, one of my favourite films, "Lost In Translation" was playing on the screens in Bumper, yet again, ironic. It's magic, in a word. Despite Sofia Coppola ruining The Godfather Part III with wooden acting, she makes up for it here, and Bill Murray is perfect, he's playing himself I think...and also he's an all time hero of mine, when I was about 7 thinking I was a Ghostbuster, we've all been there. It was my favourite childhood film, so give me a break.

Happier thoughts and times later that night, my choice of jukebox though was as always 'There She Goes' by The La's, followed by the barrage of "you look just like him, la!" and "grow your hair like him!" in reference to Lee Mavers. 

Do I like the comparison? yes and no. 

The musical genius side, yes. The similarities to the (rumoured..)smackhead side, no.

I get enough hassle from my teachers claiming I am a drunk, and I am "out on the lash" at least 4 times a week. But if that's how people see me, so be it. All it takes is one person to spread everything and nothing. 

Also, with leaving and returning home, it makes me wonder if I was to knock on someone's door in what we call the future, would they welcome with open arms or slam the door in your face or question your name and what you want?

I'll have to try, if they question who I am, I'll claim to be a salesman.

I think in every blog I've done, and if another, I've somehow, in some way, quoted The La's, today is no different...

"Lazarus. La-zarus. La's. He directed light. The light comes from the water. It keeps you alive, la. And the 'pool is where we have to be the Liver-Pool, the Mississippi, the Mersey-sippi"
Lee Mavers




No comments:

Post a Comment